Tips On How To Maintain Your Septic Tank
Septic systems are important, especially in rural areas. Septic systems are sewage systems but on a smaller scale. They do not have any connection with the main sewage system.
An important part of the septic system is the septic tank. It is big enough to hold between 4000 to 7000 liters of water. They are usually underground tanks, which are connected to an underground pipe at one end that allows the sewage to flow in. it is connect to another pipe at the other end that allows the filtered water to flow out. It is this component of a septic system that needs the most maintenance.
A septic tank may not seem that important to you, but if you do not maintain it, it will cost you a lot. Some of the common problems that you may face if you do not maintain it:
1. When a lot of cooking oils and grease enter the tank, it tends to block the inlet drains. Oils and grease are quite hard to degrade. If you get a bad odor from the tank, it is due to the oil and grease.
2. All waste is not biodegradable. Waste like cigarette butts, sanitary towels, paper towels, and cotton ear buds do not disintegrate and clog up the septic tank. You should find another way to dispose of this kind of waste.
3. Chemicals like the ones found in pesticides, herbicides, paints, and solvents have a damaging effect on the septic tank. Try to avoid these chemicals from entering it.
4. Cut down any shrubs or trees that may be growing above the tank. The roots clog the drain or even crack the tank.
5. Check the tank regularly for any signs of leaks in the plumbing. Ensure that you get it repaired immediately.
Damages are unavoidable, but do make sure that you opt for a good contractor for the job. With a little effort you will find one. You can check the internet for the names of a few contactors. Even if there are no repairs, you can contact these contractors for the maintenance of your tank.
It is advisable that you get an estimate of how much the entire job will cost you. Do not opt for the first contractor you come across.